Friends of HOLA, a 501(c)(3) organization, was formed with the mission of raising funds to support and benefit our school.
Friends of HoLa is an all-volunteer, parent-run, non-profit organization created to benefit Hoboken Dual Language Charter School (HoLa). FOH is committed to enhancing and enriching the bilingual education of students, supporting school initiatives and staff advancement while fostering a strong community. FOH partners closely with HoLa to plan and oversee fundraising efforts through school and community events and activities.
Why fundraising is essential for the success of HoLa and your child’s HoLa experience:
- HoLa serves nearly 15% of Hoboken’s K-8 public school students and receives the lowest amount of per student funding of any public school in Hoboken, including other local charters.
- The State of New Jersey (unlike others like New York) does not provide funding for charter schools for building and facilities costs, which significantly strains the school’s budget.
- HoLa spends $1,500 per student per year on facilities, which is nearly 12% of its $13,000 per student funding.
FOH fills this financial gap so that HoLa can continue delivering a world-class bilingual education to our students. FOH aims to strengthen HoLa’s ability to provide the highest quality education by:
- Connecting our Community
- Producing various community events throughout the year, such as Dia de Los Muertos, International Night, Sabor (our annual gala), and more.
- Enhancing communication between the school, teachers and parents through our FOH class parents.
- Sponsoring teacher-led events such as class events, Parent Coffee Chats, children’s reading initiatives and more.
- Advancing our Staff
- Sponsoring education courses and development for HoLa’s teachers.
- Funding educational programs and teaching tools, including the Artists in Residence Program (yoga, music, art, and dance).
- Hosting numerous faculty/staff appreciation events throughout the school year to celebrate their talent and dedication to our children.
- Supporting Community and Equity initiatives
- Funding the school’s Diversity, Inclusion, Community & Equity (DICE) committee events and scholarships.
- Organizing Community Outreach and activities that support local charitable organizations including Hola Cares and Hudson Gives.
Our annual budget is raised through generous donations from the school’s families and donors. Every dollar raised helps enhance our children’s school experience and supports our educators in fulfilling the school’s mission.
We urge all HoLa families to get involved and support the school with their time and/or monetary donations. Parent involvement is a fundamental part of what makes a school community rich and robust. Email us at email@example.com to get involved in any of the many volunteer opportunities that work with your interests and schedule.
Friends of HoLa Board:
Jennifer Sargent, HoLa Executive Director
Jen Sargent holds a BA from New York University, as well as an M.S.Ed. from Hunter College (CUNY). Jennifer was part of HoLa’s original founding team, and has served as the Executive Director since 2014.
Marina Palombini, President
Marina is a communications and global marketing leader, currently working at Pfizer in product development. She has a BA in Business Economics with an Accounting emphasis from University of California Santa Barbara, and an MBA from
Columbia Business School. Marina and her husband, Joe, have two children in HoLa Elementary.
Jennifer Whitney, Vice President
Jen is the general counsel of an investment management company. She has a BA in Economics-Political Science from Columbia University and a JD from Georgetown University. She is also a member of the Board of Trustees of HoLa. She loves biking around and exploring Hoboken with her husband and two boys.
Jon Salinas, Treasurer
Jonathan Salinas is an operating executive in the investment management industry. He graduated from Rutgers College, Phi Beta Kappa, and received his MBA from Columbia Business School where he has served as an adjunct professor since 2011.
Jennifer Picciotto, Secretary
Jennifer is the Head of Human Resources at Truvvo Partners, LLC a multi-family investment firm. She has run the HR function in a variety of industries including branding, private equity, telecom and hospitality. She graduated from Georgetown University where she earned a Bachelor of Science in Languages (Spanish). Her children have attended HoLa since 2015.
Lindsay Cambron, Class Parent Chair
Lindsay is an Attorney at a full service law firm in Roseland, New Jersey. She graduated from Skidmore College and received her JD from Seton Hall University. Prior to joining her firm, she worked in the Office of the Attorney General and represented the New Jersey Department of Children and Families. She and her husband, Jeff, have one Hola third grader and one Hoboken pre-schooler.
Nancy Salinas, Event Chair
Nancy Salinas is an active volunteer in the Hoboken community. Nancy has helped plan and oversee fundraisers for the Friends of HoLa for the past six years, plus organized teacher appreciation and community events. Nancy previously was an entrepreneur and worked in events marketing and production. Nancy has been a Hoboken resident for 15 years and has two boys, Max and Noah, currently students at HOLA.
Mrinalini (Mindi) Nair, Communications Chair
Mrinalini is a global business marketing leader with 20+ years of experience working in leading technology companies including Apple, Samsung and Spotify. She has a Bachelor of Science in Marketing Communications and Advertising from Emerson College, Boston. Mrinalini and her husband, Sherazad have lived in Hoboken for over a decade. They have two sons: one toddler and one happy HoLa student.